Download Microsoft Security Essentials
Microsoft Security Essentials - is an antivirus software that provides protection against different types of malicious software, such as computer viruses, spyware, rootkits, and trojan horses. Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home or small business PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. The download and install process of this antivirus software is very simple using the steps given below.
How to manually download the latest definition updates for Microsoft Security Essentials
Before you install the correct version of the Microsoft Security Essentials virus and spyware definition updates, you must know:
- Whether Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 is running in a 32-bit or a 64-bit operating environment.
- Whether you are logged on to Windows as an administrator.
If you are not sure of your Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 environment type, or if you need help verifying that you are an administrator on the computer, go to the Verify your environment and determine whether you are logged on with an administrator account Microsoft website.
After you verify the operating environment, follow these steps:
- Download the Microsoft Security Essentials virus and spyware definition update file that is appropriate for your version of Windows:
- Visit Microsoft Security Essentials official website in your web browser
- Select the version of your Windows (32 or 64 bit)
- Click on "Download" button
- Windows XP : Double-click the file, and then click OK.
- Windows Vista or Windows 7 : Right-click the file, and then click Run As Administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
System requirements to install Microsoft security essentials
Supported Operating System : Windows 7, Windows Vista
Minimum system requirements for Microsoft Security Essentials
Operating System: Windows Vista (Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2)*; Windows 7*
- For Windows Vista and Windows 7, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher, and 1 GB RAM or higher.
- VGA display of 800 × 600 or higher.
- 200 MB of available hard disk space.
- An Internet connection is required for installation and to download the latest virus and spyware definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials.
- Internet Browser
All about Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)
- Microsoft Security Essentials is a free* download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and always kept up-to-date so you can be assured your PC is protected by the latest technology.
- Microsoft Security Essentials runs quietly and efficiently in the background so you’re free to use your Windows-based PC the way you want—without interruptions or long computer wait times.
- Before installing Microsoft Security Essentials, we recommend that you uninstall other antivirus software already running on your PC. Running more than one antivirus program at the same time can potentially cause conflicts that affect PC performance.